Macquarie University offers generous scholarships for study in Higher Degree Research (HDR) courses in a range of research areas through advertised specific projects, and competitive rounds. Scholarships typically include one or some of the following components:
- a tuition fee offset scholarship so students don’t have to pay tuition fees
- a stipend scholarship to provide a living allowance for the duration of study
- top ups stipends
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and/or visa application costs for international students
From 01 January 2023 the standard rate for stipend scholarships for HDR study at MQ will be raised by 10% to $32,000 per annum.
Our major scholarship schemes include:
- Commonwealth funded Research Training Program (RTP) for domestic students and International Research Training Program (iRTP) for international students
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (MQRES) for domestic students and International Macquarie University Research Excellence (iMQRES) for international students.
- Scholarships funded jointly by MQ and external funding partners in industry or international partners
- Project specific scholarships advertised for you to work with a specific supervisor on a specific project
- Indigenous Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships for Indigenous Australians
Scholarships are available for study in the following courses (programs):
- Bachelor of Philosophy (for domestic students)
- Master of Research (MRes) second year (for domestic or international students)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses (for domestic or international students)
- Bundle offers of Master of Research second year and PhD (MRes Y2 + PhD, for domestic or international students)
Applicants for HDR scholarships at Macquarie University must meet the minimum entry criteria to the relevant course of study, and should review the ‘programs available’ listed for each scholarship on the scholarship search tool when considering their application.
A full list of available MQ scholarships for domestic and international students intending on undertaking HDR courses is available at the scholarship search tool. Scholarships available for prospective applicants and current HDR students that are funded by industry or external partners are available at the external scholarship opportunities link below.
Macquarie University assesses applicants for scholarships for HDR courses based primarily on academic merit and research experience. Applicants should review the information on eligibility of scholarship applicants and rating criteria prior to submitting an application.
Important Note: Official Macquarie University research scholarships are only listed on the Macquarie University web pages.
A full list of available MQ scholarships for domestic and international students intending on undertaking HDR courses is available at the scholarship search tool.
External scholarship opportunities
Scholarships available for prospective applicants and current HDR students that are funded by industry or external partners are available on the external scholarship opportunities site.
Content owner: Graduate Research Academy Last updated: 16 Dec 2022 10:20am